Tuesday, February 28, 2012

DIY Lace Candle Holders

How fab is lace?! It's not just your granny's tablecloth anymore! From Grace Kelly to Ivanka Trump to Kate Middleton... lace is timeless and gorgeous!

One of my favourite images of all time!

Love her! I admit, I have a girl crush on her...

Gorgeous dress! Well done Duchess!
For my friend's wedding in June, I'm making lace candle holder centerpieces.

I'm sure you've seen them all over Pinterest! They're everywhere- as they should be!

Last week I went down to the States and a major part of that trip was to check out JoAnn's. I keep hearing good things about this store and the one thing I knew I wanted was their Paper Mache Letters. I also wanted to check out their lace and I was delighted to find out it was a) super cheap! and b) on sale! I got two different types of lace which I'm using to cover candle holders for the wedding centerpieces.

I got 4 yards of lace and 2 paper mache letters for about $20.


The centerpiece will be a collection of different sized candle holders, all covered in lace. To give this a try, I used a little tea light candle holder from Michaels.

Life: Designed

Since the holder is quite shapely, I used the lace on the left because it's softer and not as stiff as the one on the right.

Measure (or eyeball) how much lace you need. With a sponge brush apply mod podge to the holder then apply the lace. Warning- It's going to get sticky! Then brush on another layer of mod podge on top of the lace.

Let it dry completely and then use an x-acto knife to trim any edges (if needed).

Life: Designed
I found some clear plastic cups lying around the house and figured... why not?

Life: Designed
For these, I created a paper template which made it a lot easier to cut the lace and also eliminated the need to trim any ugly edges. (The stiffer lace was much easier to work with for this shape)

***For the plastic cup holders, PLEASE use battery operated tea light candles!!

Life: Designed
This wedding is going to have 22 tables... Each table will have about 5 candle holders so I'm going to be making over 100 lace candle holders and vases!
The plastic holders are an inexpensive alternative that I'm going to mix into the glass collection. Hopefully no one will notice the difference!

I'll share again once I have the mock up completed!

In the meantime... Grace, Ivanka, Kate: who's your favourite?



5 comments:

  1. Woah! 100?! Wow! Love the look btw. I was thinking of doing the same thing but only half way, sort of like the image I found on Pinterest. Love this one too, might try both! How you been?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I am pinning this right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all incredibly gorgeous - the ladies and your candles holders! I also love your blog design!

    I found your blog through Cheri's LF blog hop and now I'm your newest follower! : )

    -Mel the Crafty Scientist

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't get my hands on lace where I live but did find some black lacy nylon stockings in my local store so improvised & the results were stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm having such a hard time getting the lace to lay flat on the curves of the glass and not bunch up any tips?

    ReplyDelete